Have you heard the phrase “Don’t share your idea or someone will steal it?” Although there is some truth to that (good artists borrow, great artists steal), to run a successful company, ideas must be shared.
When it comes to an idea, the truth is, 99% of ideas you think of aren’t worth stealing. Seriously, how many times have you heard your friends “great idea” and thought to yourself “That will never work”. For business its a bit different. Ideas are needed to grow a company and take it to the next level. As a business owner, it is up to you to gain the trust of your employees by sharing your own ideas and concepts first. Creating a culture of openly sharing and respecting people’s ideas is the first step to success.
Here is a list of reasons to create a culture of idea sharing in your workplace according to smallbiztrends:
- You’ll get better and more ideas
- You build trust and loyalty with your team
- Other people step up to help execute those ideas and even take ownership of them
- Some ideas get discarded quickly (so you don’t waste time on them)
- You get a better sense of who your best people are