Republic Services Inc. released its 2021 Sustainability Report, which highlights its accomplishments and efforts to support decarbonization and circularity. The company’s achievements include the following:
- Nine percent reduction in operational greenhouse gas emissions. The target was a ten percent reduction by 2025.
- 38% better safety performance than the industry average for the past ten years.
- Swept the industry’s Driver and Operator of the Year awards.
- A two-fold increase in the number of women in top leadership positions.
- Launch of talent retention and development programs.
- Development of a polymer center to promote plastic circularity.
- Joint venture to develop 39 landfill renewable natural gas projects.
- Inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the sixth consecutive year.
- Recognition on Barron’s Most Sustainable Companies, 3BL Media’s 100 Best Corporate Citizen lists and Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies
According to President and CEO Jon Vander Ark, Republic Services view sustainability as a platform for growth that allows them to innovate and invest in projects that will deliver significant environmental and economic benefits over time.